In this video clip Bess and David hosted a highly informative “Onboarding and Activation” event, both in-person and online. The event aimed to address the confusion among app makers regarding prioritizing onboarding steps and designs that may unintentionally lead to increased trialler abandonment and churn.
Throughout the event, David and Bess analyzed both exceptional and subpar examples to provide valuable insights. The agenda covered essential topics including:
- Pirate metrics and the significance of product-led growth
- Understanding the user journey curve
- Exploring the concept of FTUX (First-Time User Experience)
- Examining successful Activation strategies
- Leveraging empty states, feature discovery, and driving referrals
Watch a brief clip from the event’s introduction, where Bess sheds light on the elements of FTUX and how contextual walkthroughs, user onboarding, mobile tooltips, product adoption, underpinned by digital adoption platforms play a pivotal role in improving user engagement and reducing churn.
The session wasn’t about the Contextual product, focussing mainly on some classic “patterns” and “anti-patterns” – this is just a geeky way to say: “Do’s and Don’ts”.
For example, there are many “Do’s” that work for B2B that “Don’t” work for B2C. For this post, here are a few “anti-patterns”.
- Mobile is not a small desktop
- B2C: Force registration before “Aha”
- B2C Mobile: Don’t default to System Permission Prompts
- Don’t ask until you need permissions
- Soften with your own popup before the system
- Forced carousels/guides/tours
- 16 step guides!!!!
- External Help/External Videos (Never leave the App!)
- Login after Register (Repeat passwords)
- 2-factor on first try
- Spam with push notifications